Are you having trouble uploading large files to your WordPress Website? Have you been facing an error message stating that the file’s size exceeds the upload limit?
Increase Upload Size Limit
Many WordPress website owners face this error when trying to upload large files. Here are several methods to help you Increase Upload Size Limit in WordPress. You need to follow these step-by-step guides.
WordPress is the most powerful and widely used content management system (CMS) where users can easily create and manage their websites. To create WordPress site you need a domain name and a web hosting provider. HostBet is the best shared hosting in India. Whether you’re a beginner and thinking of starting a personal blog or running a small business website, HostBet’s shared hosting services deliver the perfect blend of affordability and quality, making them the go-to choice for the best shared hosting in India.
However, WordPress restricts the size of files that can be uploaded to the media library by default. This restriction exists to ensure optimal website performance and to prevent server resource overload. Fortunately, there are many ways to increase this upload size limit, and here we will explore them in detail.
Checking the Current Upload Size Limit
Before Increase Upload Size Limit with using the below method , you need to check the current limit on your WordPress website. To do this, follow these simple steps:
- 1. Log in to your WordPress dashboard.
- 2. Navigate to “Media” and click on “Add New.”
- 3. Below the upload area, you will find the maximum upload file size allowed. Take note of this value.
Modifying the .htaccess File
Modifying the.htaccess file is a way to Increase Upload Size Limit. By modifying the.htaccess file, you can easily upload larger files. This method is suitable for users who don’t have access to the php.ini file. Follow these steps to modify the.htaccess file:
- Connect to your server using an FTP client or file manager.
- Locate the.htaccess file in the root directory of your WordPress installation.
- Open the.htaccess file and add the following lines at the end:
php_value upload_max_filesize 1024M
php_value post_max_size 1024M
php_value max_execution_time 300
- 4. Save the changes and close the .htaccess file.
- 5. Refresh your WordPress dashboard and test uploading a file to check if the upload size limit has been increased.
Increase Upload Size Limit Using a Plugins
Another method is to Increase Upload Size Limit using plugins. There are many plugins available that can help you increase the upload size limit in WordPress. These plugins provide a user-friendly interface to adjust the limit without the need for manual coding. Some popular plugins for this purpose include “Increase Maximum Upload File Size” and “WP Maximum Upload File Size.”
- 1. Log in to your WordPress dashboard.
- 2. Navigate to “Plugins” and click on “Add New.”
- 3. Search for the desired plugin using the provided search bar.
- 4. Install and activate the plugin.
- 5. Access the plugin’s settings and locate the option to increase the upload size limit.
- 6. Enter your desired limit and save the changes.
- 7. Test uploading a file to confirm that the upload size limit has been increased.
Increasing the Upload Size Limit via php.ini
The upload size limit is by modifying the php.ini file. However, please note that for this method you require access to your hosting cPanel. Here are steps that can help you do it:
1. Locate the select PHP version in the software section
2. Then click on Select PHP version
3. In the PHP selector, click on “options”
4. Locate post_max_sieze and upload_max_filesize
5. Change the values of `upload_max_filesize` and `post_max_size` to your desired limit. For example, to increase the limit to 64MB, use:
6. Refresh your WordPress dashboard and test uploading a file to verify if the upload size limit has been increased.
Uploading large files to your WordPress website can be necessary, especially for media-rich content. By following the methods described in this article, you can increase the upload size limit and remove the restrictions imposed by the default settings. Whether you want to modify server-related files, use the functions.php file, or rely on plugins, it’s important to test the increased upload size limit and troubleshoot any issues that arise.
Also,Read – How to Fix an Error Establishing a Database Connection WordPress 2023
FAQ Section on Increase Upload Size Limit
Will increasing the upload size limit affect my website’s speed
While larger file uploads may take slightly longer to process, properly optimizing your website and server can help mitigate any potential impact on speed. Additionally, utilizing compression techniques and content delivery networks (CDNs) can further optimize file delivery.
Can I increase the upload size limit without accessing server files?
Yes, you can increase the upload size limit by using plugins or modifying the functions.php file in your WordPress theme. These methods allow you to adjust the limit without directly modifying server-related files